Wonderful tips on how to get motivated by Kalyn Nicholson
- If we can’t change it, and we just have to decide how we’re going to respond to that. We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.
- You’ve got to get the fundamentals down because otherwise the fancy stuff isn’t going to work.
- When you’re screwing up and nobody’s saying anything to you anymore, that means they gave up.
- But remember, the brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.
- When you’re pissed off at somebody and you’re angry at them, you just haven’t given them enough time. Just give them a little more time and they’ll almost always impress you.
- That’s one of the best things you can give somebody – the chance to show them what it feels like to make other people get excited and happy.
- The best gift an educator can give is to get somebody to become self reflective.
- How do you get people to help you? You can’t get there alone. People have to help you and I do believe in karma. I believe in paybacks. You get people to help you by telling the truth. Being earnest. I’ll take an earnest person over a hip person every day, because hip is short term. Earnest is long term.
- Apologize when you screw up and focus on other people, not on yourself.
- Get a feedback loop and listen to it. Your feedback loop can be this dorky spreadsheet thing I did, or it can just be one great man who tells you what you need to hear. The hard part is the listening to it. Anybody can get chewed out. It’s the rare person who says, oh my god, you were right. As opposed to, no wait, the real reason is… We’ve all heard that. When people give you feedback, cherish it and use it.
- Show gratitude. When I got tenure I took all of my research team down to Disneyworld for a week. And one of the other professors at Virginia said, how can you do that? I said these people just busted their ass and got me the best job in the world for life. How could I not do that?
- Don’t complain. Just work harder. Be good at something, it makes you valuable.
- Work hard. I got tenure a year early as Steve mentioned. Junior faculty members used to say to me, wow, you got tenure early. What’s your secret? I said, it’s pretty simple. Call my any Friday night in my office at ten o’clock and I’ll tell you.
- Find the best in everybody. One of the things that Jon Snoddy as I said told me, is that you might have to wait a long time, sometimes years, but people will show you their good side. Just keep waiting no matter how long it takes. No one is all evil. Everybody has a good side, just keep waiting, it will come out.
- Be prepared. Luck is truly where preparation meets opportunity.
- It’s not about how to achieve your dreams. It’s about how to lead your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you.
Shah Rukh Khan (born 2 November 1965), also known as SRK, is an Indian film actor, producer and television personality. Referred to in the media as the “Baadshah of Bollywood”, “King of Bollywood” or “King Khan”, he has appeared in more than 80 Bollywood films, and earned numerous accolades, including 14 Filmfare Awards. Khan has a significant following in Asia and the Indian diaspora worldwide. In terms of audience size and income, he has been described as one of the most successful film stars in the world.
“Hold your wishes in your palms, loved ones in your arms, the world’s fury in your heart and move with light in your eyes.”
“Love can happen at any age… it has no age.”
“Live from the heart. Love people, love the world around you, love animals and birds, and big cities and mountains, love dreams, love life, love your work, your friends and your enemies even if you feel least like it. Most importantly, my friends; love yourselves.”
“If someone you love lets you down, don’t fault yourself for not trusting him, fault yourself for not trusting your love enough to forgive his/her trespasses.”
“Do not be afraid to walk alone”
“There will be a time when nothing will go right. Don’t panic. With a little embarrassment, you will survive.”
“Don’t let your fears become boxes that enclose you. Open them out, feel them and turn them into the greatest courage you are capable of. I promise you, nothing will go wrong.”
“Always try to see the other person’s truth because like every movie has a story, every human being has one too and you have no right to imagine that yours is better than anyone else’s.”
“Embrace all that this life has in store for you, let your heart be as deep as the deepest ocean and as wide as the farthest horizon.”
“It’s not necessary that the world will accept your creativity, but don’t give up on it.”
“All the most beautiful people in the world, the most creative, the ones who led revolutions, who discovered and invented things, did so because they embraced their own idiosyncrasies. There’s no such thing as ‘normal’. That’s just another word for lifeless.”
“Success is not a good teacher, failure makes you humble. Success and failure are both part of life. Both are not permanent.”
“No matter how hard we work leadership implies being prepared for disaster.”
“Be brave enought to face your destiny, to sacrifice for it, and compromise for it if you have to. It will always be worth it.”
“Whatever it is that is pulling you back, is not going away unless you stand up and start forging your own path with all your might in the opposite direction. Stop whining and start moving.”
“Don’t panic. Everything evolves as you go along. Even disasters eventually resolve themselves. Give life the space to move at its own pace.”
“You don’t always have to figure things out or find an explanation for the circumstances you are in. It’s more prudent to accept that sometimes there just isn’t one.”
Feeling that Law of Attraction doesn’t work as good? It could be that you are not using it the right way, watch the video below to find out how: